The Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation (TSAHC), helps Texans buy a home for themselves and their families. TSAHC is a nonprofit organization that was created by the Texas Legislature to help Texans achieve their dream of homeownership. The Homes for Texas Heroes Program offers home loans and down payment assistance for teachers, police officers, firefighters and EMS personnel, corrections officers, and veterans.
- You can choose to receive the down payment assistance as a grant (which does not
- Fixed Rate Loans
- Up to 5% Assistance to help cover down payment and/or closing costs
- You can choose to receive the down payment assistance as a grant (which does not have to be repaid) or a deferred forgivable second lien loan (which only has to be repaid if you sell or refinance within three years).
- Credit scores as low as 620
- No max DTI w/AUS approval
- Low fees
- FHA manual underwrites allowed up to 43% DTI with no additional fee (640 minimum FICO score required)
- Income limits vary by county
- No First Time Buyer Requirement
- For First Time Buyers, can be combined with Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC).
- Texas Heroes combining TSAHC’s Homes for Texas Heroes program with an MCC will receive the MCC for free.
The Homes for Texas Heroes Program assists the following hero professions with down payment assistance and fixed rate home loans.
- Professional educators, which includes the following full-time positions in a public school district: school teachers, teacher aides, school librarians, school counselors, and school nurses
- Police officers and public security officers
- Firefighters and EMS personnel
- Veterans or active military
- Correction officers and juvenile corrections officers
- Nursing faculty and allied health faculty
Fill out the form below to be contacted by a participating lender: